This recipe is so good, I seriously could not stop eating it! I think it also had something to do with the freshness of the food (we had just gotten our CSA box that same day), but all in all its just a really great recipe.
As you can see in the picture, we served the salad with a grilled cod filet. What you see on the fish is cajun seasoning. We had leftover seasoning from the salad and decided to use it on the cod. Very tasty!
Cajun Corn and Kale Salad (adapted from Farmer John’s Cookbook: The Real Dirt on Vegetables)
Enough to serve 4-6 if having multiple sides. My husband and I ate the whole thing!
- 3 ears of sweet corn
- 1 large bunch of kale, stems removed
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 large tomato diced (or two small)
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- juice from half a lemon
- 1-2 tsp cajun seasoning
- Cook the sweet corn. You can use any method you prefer. I like to roast in the oven. To do this, leave the husks on the corn. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place corn on oven rack (oven does not need to be preheated). Roast for 10-15 minutes. Let corn cool, remove the husks and cut kernels off the cob, set aside.
- While the corn is cooking, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add kale to boiling water and cook until tender and bright green about 3-5 minutes. Drain kale completely, let cool. Squeeze out all excess water, chop and set aside.
- While the corn is roasting and the water boiling, chop up remaining vegetables.
- Combine all ingredients together in a large bowl. Add any salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
I didn’t have cajun seasoning, so I looked up how to make one. There are several recipes for cajun seasoning on the web. Find one that looks good to you and give it a try.
If you prefer to cook your corn by boiling it, you can use the same water to cook the kale.
The lemon juice is a must in this recipes, don’t skip it!
I want to try this recipe again, serving it over rice with chopped grilled chicken.
Let me know what you think! Leave a comment in the comment section below.