Salsa is such a healthy snack (especially home made), but its counter part is often salty and fried. Don’t you think salsa deserves a healthy dipper? I do.
Unfortunately there aren’t many brands of baked tortilla chips available in stores. This gave me the idea to start making my own chip, and I have been doing so for a few years now. It is super easy and in my opinion, tastes better than any packaged chip.
Essentially, all you need to do is cut up some tortillas and put them in the oven. Its as easy as that! But first you need to find a good tortilla. I like corn tortillas with as little ingredients as possible. My favorite brand has only 3 ingredients: corn, water and lime. You could experiment with other whole grain tortillas if you don’t like the traditional corn taste. Just make sure whole grain flour is the first ingredient!
Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips
makes about 4-5 heaping cups of chips
- 6 corn tortillas (6″ tortillas)
- olive oil or canola oil
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Lay tortillas out on a cutting board. Brush lightly with oil to coat both sides (you only need very little). If you have one of those spray contraptions for your oil, that would work best!
3) Stack the tortillas evenly in a pile. Cut into fourths and then again into eighths.
4) Lay out the pieces on to a large baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Put into the preheated oven. Bake for 15 minutes or so. They will be lightly browned and crisp all the way through when done. Enjoy!
You can store the chips in an air tight container for several days at room temperature. Don’t feel like you have to make a large batch every time. You can make the chips as needed. Just the other day, I wanted to add some chips to my salad so I used two tortillas to make chips.
I recently started using a pizza screen to bake the chips. You can see it in the picture above. The chips come out super crisp because air can travel on all sides. I highly recommend investing in a pizza screen. I think we bought one on Amazon for under 10$. It also helps make a crisp pizza crust. If you use a regular baking sheet, you may need to flip the chips half way through to reach desired crispness.
What do you think? Leave a comment in the comments section below!