Since a lot of my posts are “sciency” and research based, I thought I needed to start adding something a little more light hearted and fun to the blog. Thus, “living the prevention lifestyle” was created. These posts will occur weekly on Saturdays and will document fun and healthy things going on in my life. I thought it may be helpful to see the prevention lifestyle in action. Plus there are so many great wellness things out there that I want to share more regularly. I will still continue to post specific articles about breast cancer and health, but these new posts are just meant to be a fun little break. I hope you enjoy!
Things that make me happy right now:
- These purple yoga pants! I know they look blue in the picture but they are actually more purple. I found these fun little guys at TJ Maxx for under $20. They are so soft and comfortable. If you attend any of my yoga classes in the city, you will likely see me wearing these pants! I can’t get enough of them. I like to buy my yoga clothes at places like TJ Maxx and Marshalls. I just can’t justify spending a fortune on workout clothes, although I may treat myself to something from the new Athleta store in Chicago (can’t wait to go there!).
- Nature walks. I am so lucky to live by one of the most beautiful parks in the city. I spend a lot of time purusing the beautiful paths. Being in nature makes me feel at peace, and it always puts everything in perspective. I try to get out in nature as much as I can. Here are some pics from my most recent walk.
- This orchid. I love orchids! They are so beautiful. I don’t usually buy them because they are hard to maintain (why didn’t I inherit my mom’s green thumb?!), but my husband gave this to me for our recent wedding anniversary.
- Jo Cessna’s Recipe Cards. I just purchased these and can’t wait to make every one of the recipes. They all look so tasty and healthy! I am especially excited to make the Spring Green Tonic and Almond Cake with Cashew Cream. For only 8$ per set, these cards are a steal!
Managing My Sweet Tooth
Tasty Recipes I Made This Week
Interestingly, both of these recipes came recommended by my good friend and dedicated foodie, Melissa. She has an eye for great tasting, healthy food. Thanks Mel!
- Slow-Cooker Bean Soup. So quick, tasty and healthy! Of course, I changed a few things. I used a 17 dried bean and barley mix from Trader Joes. Then I added some dried shiitakes – breast cancer fighting foods. I also added a bit more water, about 8 cups instead of 6.
- Vegan Burgers from the blog Edible Perspective. These have become my favorite veggie burgers. I love how this recipe calls for several nutritious ingredients like sweet potato, quinoa, oatmeal and sunflower seeds. This recipe makes a big batch so you can have leftovers too. Oh, I never use corn in the recipe because I am not a big fan of corn unless it is summer sweet corn.
Recipes I Want to Try
- “Tropsicles” from Vegetarian Times. These look so amazing and refreshing!
Things I want to Do
Living the prevention lifestyle is not just about nutrition. Its also about seeking out things that make you happy and going to do them! Here are few things on my list.
- A painting class at Bottle and Bottega. I have really been itching to get back into painting and this looks like a fun way to do it!
- Ashley Turner’s Urban Priestess yoga workshop at Moksha Yoga Chicago
- Really looking forward to farmer’s market season, especially the Green City Market. Only a few more weeks!
That’s all for now folks!