If you look hard enough in the third picture you will see a cute little something. They are the first I have seen all year. They were so tiny, they looked like little bugs!
Food Things That Make Me Happy Right Now
- This product! Ok so at first I thought these citrus squeezers were a total gimmick, you know, a kitchen unitasker. I was so wrong! This kitchen tool is a must have! It has made my life much easier. I used to get really frustrated trying to juice citrus for marinades or dressings until this friend came along… They are relatively inexpensive too. Definitely a must have.
- Trader Joe’s organic plain yogurt. I have sort of been on a yogurt kick lately, and this seems to be my favorite brand. I doesn’t have too much of the acidy taste that other plain yogurts have. I also like how it includes a variety of probiotics. This brand has a nice texture too, not too thick, not to runny. I love plain yogurt because it is so versatile. You can use it for sweet stuff or salty stuff. Great to have around.
- Fresh strawberries! In Illinois, strawberry season begins in May and goes through June. There is nothing quite like a fresh, seasonal s-berry. Trader Joe’s had some nice looking organic ones that I picked up earlier this week. They were so good! Want to know what’s in season in your region? Field to Plate has a great resource for checking seasonal produce here.
I think I have mentioned this company before, but I love Yoga Today. It is a web-based yoga studio and they offer a free class every week. It allows you the opportunity to enjoy a good yoga class from the freedom of your own home. I really enjoy the instructors on the program. Each brings many different talents to the table. Highly recommend!
A Few Things I Cooked This Week
- Tuscan Kale Pinto Bean Soup. I really enjoyed this soup. It was very easy to prepare and used an entire pound of fresh kale!
- Quinoa Cakes. These were just ok. I would definitely make them again, but I feel like they were missing something. Plus, they did not hold together well at all. Next time, I think I may try adding rolled oats or something to help them bind.
- Cocoa Oat Truffles. If you receive my monthly newsletter, you already know how I feel about these! They are spectacular and contain no refined sugars. I cannot wait to make these again. The only things I did different was add 3 tablespoons of water, and used my raw cacao powder. These aren’t just “healthy people food”, anyone would like them. I brought them to a dinner party and they were well received.
- I have been wanting to try this chia breakfast “pudding” forever. I have dates and cashews on hand so I think it is time.
- This raw cashew cake. It looks absolutely amazing! I am thinking of making it for mother’s day brunch. There are a bunch of other recipes I want to make from this blog as well.